how to get uae driving license. If you’re from a developing country, obtaining a driving licence in Abu Dhabi may be difficult. Due to rigorous regulations throughout the United Arab Emirates, many people who relocate to Abu Dhabi encounter significant difficulties when obtaining a driving licence (UAE).
Everything you need to understand before applying for a driving licence in Abu Dhabi is as follows:
- The minimum age for driving in Abu Dhabi varies depending on the type of vehicle:
- Cars: the minimum age for the driving test is 18 years old, but you can learn to drive at 17 years and six months.
- Motorcycles or vehicles for disabled persons: Minimum age is 17 years old.
- Heavy vehicles or tractors: Minimum age is 20 years old.
- Buses: Minimum age is 21 years old.
People from 32 approved countries, including the US, UK, Germany, France, New Zealand, Japan, Australia, and China, are automatically qualified for UAE’s driving license.
However, non-approved countries like Pakistan, India, and the Philippines, must complete the required process.
How to Apply as a First Timer
First-time driving license applicants must complete the following steps:
- Take an eye test at either Yateem or Al Jaber opticians.
- Upload a copy of their Emirates ID and the eye test report on the Tamm app.
- Pay AED 200 ($54) to a customer service executive at Tamm.
- Install the UAE Pass app.
- Wait for approval, after which they’ll be asked to go to Emirates Driving Company.
The validity of a driving license depends on the driver’s age and status:
- For new drivers or those under 21, the license is initially valid for two years.
- After renewal, the license is valid for 5 years for expats and 10 years for UAE and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nationals.
Driving Classes for New Applicants
To obtain a valid Abu Dhabi driving license, new drivers and those unable to transfer their home country license must complete the following steps:
- Take theory and practical classes.
- Pass the driving test.
When opening a file with a driving school, the following documents are required:
- Copy of passport.
- Original Emirates ID plus a copy.
- Two photographs.
- Tamm app file number.
- Letter of no objection from the sponsor.
- If an applicant is 18 years old, their guardian’s documents and a no-objection letter are also required.
There are numerous choices available from Emirates Driving Company to get a licence. A one-time exam charge of $25 will be added to the total cost, along with a 5% VAT. The table below provides information on theory classes:
|Course Option||Course Duration||Number of Theory Classes||Fee (AED)|
|Regular||4 days||8 (2 per day)||830|
|Intensive||2 days||8 (4 per day)||1,050|
|VIP Silver||1 day||2||1,530|
Here’s the table showing details of practical classes:
|Course Option||Course Duration||Lessons per Day||Total Lessons||Fee (AED)|
|Beginner Level – No Experience|
|VIP Silver||6 days||3||18||3,705|
|Intermediate Level – 1-5 Years of Experience|
|VIP Silver||5 days||3||15||3,145|
|Upper Intermediate Level – 5+ Years of Experience|
|VIP Silver||4 days||3||12||2,755|
Before lessons begin, candidates from unapproved nations are also offered the opportunity to take written and practical exams. A driving licence will be issued to the applicant once they pass these examinations. If they fail, they must go to the classes.
Driving License Fee
Applicants under 21 can purchase a 1-year driving licence for AED 100. The cost is AED 300 with a 5-year validity period for anyone over 21. how to get uae driving license